Better Beginnings-A WA State Library Initiative
On Wednesday, May 15th, Kindergarten and Pre-Primary parents were invited to a short talk on the importance of reading to your child.
As part of the Better Beginnings program a representative from the local library presented parents with a picture book and information about local libraries.
This was followed by a short presentation by Pre-Primary teacher Joanna Whitney on ways of improving bedtime story time.
For a copy of the notes relating to this presentation as well as a selection of great books that are ideal for bedtime story reading see below.
Better Bedtime Stories
- Reading for pleasure is very important.
- Establishes positive reading habits.
- There are a wealth of delightful enjoyable children’s picture books.
- Taking time to emotionally connect at the end of the day.
- Get comfortable
- Adults read /children listen, its not a reading book
- Slow down!
- Enjoy the pictures and words.
- Talk about the book.
- Play with silly voices.
- Read it again.
- Great authors, Mem Fox, Pamela Allen, Margaret Wild
- Great illustrators Bruce Whatley, Jenni Baker
- Funny, scary, sad, pretty, cute and strange books.
- Books with a good story line or plot.
- Books with rhyme and repetition.
- Longer chapter books without pictures.
Click Here for links to the Better Beginning Website