EMERGENCY – EVACUATION PROCEDURES: 2011
IN THE EVENT OF A CLASSROOM EVACUATION eg. FIRE
1. This will be signalled by short, repeated blasts of the siren.
2. Children are to be immediately evacuated to the oval as per evacuation procedures.
3. If risk lies in designated path teacher to seek next best path to oval.
4. If the oval is unsuitable teachers will be directed by the Principal to an alternative location.
IN THE EVENT OF AN EARTHQUAKE
1. Children and staff are to take protection UNDER their desks.
2. If outside please move to area away from buildings.
- Principal to collect mobile phone from front office and move to oval or designated assembly area.
- Deputy 1 – Lead evacuation and search. Loud hailer. (Mr B Combes)
- Deputy 2 – Check class numbers and students. First aid kit and class and staff lists. (Miss J Sandhu).
- Deputy 3 – Check staff and visitors. Search. First aid kit and visitor book. (Mrs S Anderson).
The Signal that the school is to be evacuated will be repeated siren blasts and announcement over the P.A. or in the event of a power failure the ringing of a hand bell with calling out:-evacuate, evacuate, evacuate.
Upon hearing the evacuation signal each teacher will:
1. Collect the class roll and whistle. If on D.O.T.T. you do NOT return to the room go directly to the oval.
2. Have the class exit the building through the nearest external door and move to the lakeside area of the oval keeping clear of school buildings where possible (See accompanying map for order of year levels). Deputy 1(Block 1, 3 and 4) and Deputy 3(Admin, Block 2, 5&6) to check toilets on way to oval.
3. At the oval each class teacher will call the roll and ascertain the names and the possible whereabouts of any missing children.
- Deputy Principal (Miss Jessica Sandhu) will check names of missing children and their possible whereabouts.
- Deputy (Mrs Sandy Andeson) will check staff and visitor safety.
- Deputies (Miss Jessica Sandhu/Mrs Sandy Anderson) will call for a search with deputy (Mr Brad Combes) if required.
- Deputy Mr Brad Combes and Mrs Sandy Anderson will search for missing person(s). No one else is to go looking for a child.
- Deputy (Miss Jessica Sandhu) will remain on the oval in charge of the teachers/children.
- First aid given by Deputy Principal (Miss Jessica Sandhu) and/or any other qualified senior first aider if required.
5. Teachers are to keep students safe and calm while moving and while on the oval. To re-assure students after the event and assess any further support required for students.
7. The Principal will remain in overall charge, directing fire fighters/police and communicating with the appropriate authorities. To assess and organize de-briefing and counselling as required.
8. Teachers on D.O.T.T. will report to their class on the oval to assist specialist teacher in checking students. When this has happened the support teachers will report to the Principal to assist as directed.
9. The School Officers will go to the front of the car park (taking any sick children with them) to stop visitors entering the school. Education Assistants and ancillary staff will move to the oval or assist in the orderly movement of children as is appropriate.
10. Canteen staff/workers and visitors to the school are also to make their way to the safety of the oval.
11. In the event of evacuation being necessary during LUNCH or RECESS, Staff and Children are to make their way to the oval where children will report to their teacher. No one is to go back into classrooms in this situation.
EMERGENCY – LOCKDOWN PROCEDURES: 2011
IN THE EVENT OF A LOCK DOWN
1. This will be signalled by three short siren blasts followed by an immediate PA announcement (Principal, Deputies or Business Manager. The PA announcement will inform staff and students if it is an external (intruder) or internal (critical incident) situation.
2. Staff and students please return to their classrooms, lock doors and close blinds. If class is outside or at recess/lunch students and teachers proceed quickly back to classroom.
3. Front office staff to lock office and staff room.
4. Deputy Principals to ring classroom blocks to inform a staff member details of situation. This person to relay information to staff within the block. One deputy will inform demountable classrooms.
5. Principal to inform relevant authorities of situation (Police, Emergency Services, District Office)
6. Teachers and Education Assistants to re-assure students by keeping them calm and safe
7. Staff and students not to leave locked classrooms until PA announcement that situation has been resolved.